Group MOVE Statement
Group MOVE is used to move the data from one group item to another group item. Group MOVE can have one or more receiving items.
MOVE sending-group TO receiving-group
- The sending item can be an alphanumeric or a literal or a figurative constant.
- The receiving item should be an alphanumeric or elementary variable but not a literal or a figurative constant.
- The elementary variables in both groups should have same name and in the same order, but the lengths may differ.
Practical Example -
Scenario - Moving data from one group to another group.
IDENTIFICATION DIVISION. PROGRAM-ID. GRPMOVE. AUTHOR. MTH. DATA DIVISION. WORKING-STORAGE SECTION. 01 WS-GRP1. 05 NUM PIC 9(02) VALUE 1. 05 NAME PIC X(20) VALUE 'MAINFRAMESTECHHELP'. 01 WS-GRP2. 05 NUM PIC 9(02). 05 NAME PIC X(20). PROCEDURE DIVISION. MOVE WS-GRP1 TO WS-GRP2. DISPLAY "WS-GRP1: " WS-GRP1. DISPLAY "WS-GRP2: " WS-GRP2. STOP RUN.
WS-GRP1: 01MAINFRAMESTECHHELP WS-GRP2: 01MAINFRAMESTECHHELP
Explaining Example -
In the above example:
- WS-GRP1 declared as of length 22 and initialized with 01MAINFRAMESTECHHELP.
- Similarly WS-GRP-2 is declared with same length 22.
- WS-GRP2 has equal length with WS-GRP1, after executing the below group MOVE the WS-GRP1 data will be moved to WS-GRP2.