- IEBCOPY is a dataset utility used to copy or merge members between one or more PDS or PDSEs. The copying can be full or partial.
- IEBCOPY creates a PDS backup and copies members from the backup into a PDS.
- IEBCOPY automatically lists the number of unused directory blocks.
- IEBCOPY lists the number of unused tracks available for members of the output PDS.
- IEBCOPY input or output for COPY operation can be a PDS, a PDSE, or an unloaded PS that contains members to be copied, merged, altered, reblocked, loaded, or unloaded.
- IEBCOPY output for COPY operation is either a new or old dataset.
----+----1----+----2----+----3----+----4----+----5----+----6----+----7-- //JOBCARD //* //STEP1 EXEC PGM=IEBCOPY //SYSPRINT DD SYSOUT=* //SYSOUT DD SYSOUT=* //SYSDUMP DD SYSOUT=* //SYSUT1 DD DSN=... //SYSUT2 DD DSN=... //SYSUT3 DD UNIT=.. //SYSUT4 DD UNIT=.. //SYSIN DD * control-statements /*
- SYSPRINT - Optional and uses for system output messages.
- SYSOUT - Optional. System-defined DDname for file status codes, system abend codes information, and the display statement output.
- SYSDUMP - Optional. System uses it for dumping when an abend occurs.
- SYSUT01/any-ddname - This is an input DDname and is mandatory. Multiple DD statements can be provided as input.
- SYSUT02/any-ddname - This is an output DDname and is mandatory.
- SYSUT03/SYSUT04 - Optional. These are buffer memory DD statements for processing the task.
- SYSIN - Contains the control statements needed for IEBCOPY utility.
Control Statements -
IEBCOPY has the below control statements –
IEBCOPY to perform the following tasks –
- Copying Data Sets or Make a copy of a PDS or PDSE
- Copying Members have Alias Names (COPY Statement)
- Merge Partitioned Data Sets
- Select specific members of a PDS or PDSE to be copied, loaded, or unloaded
- Exclude members from a data set to be copied, unloaded, or loaded.
- Compressing a PDS
- Altering a load module for faster loading by MVS program fetch.
- Copying and Reblocking Load Modules
- Convert a PDS to a PDSE or a PDSE to a PDS
- Unloading Data Sets
- Loading or Copying Unload Data Sets
- Create a sequential form of a PDS or PDSE for a backup or transport.
- Reload one or more members from a PDSU into a PDS or PDSE.
- Replace members of a PDS or PDSE.
- Rename selected members of a PDS or PDSE when copied.
- Convert load modules in a PDS to program objects in a PDSE while copying a PDS to a PDSE.
- Copy to or from a PDS or PDSE data set, a member, and its aliases together as a group.
Return Codes -
- IEBCOPY returns a code in register 15 to specify the results of utility execution status.
- The return codes of IEBCOPY and the meanings are -
|00 (X'00')||Successful completion.|
|04 (X'04')|| One or more COPY or COPYGRP operations completed unsuccessfully or uncompleted.|
Recovery may be possible for this case.
|08 (X'08')||An unrecoverable error exists. The utility ends.|