Operations (for Experienced)
ICETOOL is a multipurpose DFSORT utility. ICETOOL uses the DFSORT capabilities to perform multiple operations in a single step on one or more data sets.
Below are the 17 ICETOOL operators used to perform a variety of functions -
- COPY operator copies one file to one or more output files.
- COUNT prints messages with the records count of the file in TOOLMSG.
- COUNT is used to create an output file including text and the count.
- COUNT is also used to set RC=12, RC=8, RC=4, or RC=0 based on meeting criteria for the number of records in a file.
- DATASORT sorts data records between header and trailer records in a data set.
- It copies all records (includes header and footer) along with sorted records to an output file.
- DEFAULTS prints the DFSORT installation defaults in a separate list file.
- DISPLAY prints the values of numerical fields or specific character fields into a separate list dataset.
- DISPLAY can produce simple, customized, and sectioned reports.
- DISPLAY can produce maximums, minimums, totals, averages, and counts.
- MERGE merges one or more input files into one or more output files.
- MODE uses for error checking and specifies the actions to be performed after error detection for operators.
- There are three modes available to set or reset for further operations -
- STOP mode (the default) stops subsequent operations if an error is detected.
- CONTINUE mode continues with subsequent operations if an error is detected.
- SCAN mode allows checking ICETOOL statements without performing any operations.
- OCCUR prints each unique value for specific numeric or character fields and how many times it occurs in a separate list dataset.
- OCCUR can build simple or customized reports.
- The printed values can be limited to a value count that meets specified criteria.
- RANGE prints a message with the values count in a specified range for a given numeric field in a dataset.
- RESIZE creates a larger record from multiple shorter records.
- RESIZE also creates multiple shorter records from a larger record.
- SELECT selects records from an input file and writes to the output file based on selection criteria.
- Not selected records can be saved in a separate output data set.
- SORT sorts a file and copies it to one or more output files.
- SPLICE joins given fields from records with the key values (duplicate values) but has different information.
- SPLCE can combine given fields from two or more records to create an output record.
- The fields to be joined can originate from records in different files.
- STATS prints messages with the minimum, maximum, average, and total for the given numeric fields in a file.
- SUNSET selects records from a file to retain or remove the header, relative, or trailer records.
- Not selected records can be saved in a separate output file.
- UNIQUE prints messages with the unique values count for a given numeric or character field.
- VERIFY reviews given decimal fields in a file and prints messages for each invalid value found related to each given field.