In this topic, we described about the Introduction with detailed example.
ICETOOL is a multipurpose data set processing and reporting DFSORT utility that allows to perform multiple operations on one or more data sets in a single job step.
ICETOOL combines new features with DFSORT features to perform complex sorting, copying, merging, reporting and analytical tasks using multiple data sets in a single job step.
ICETOOL was first introduced in DFSORT Release 11.1 and was enhanced in each subsequent DFSORT release. ICETOOL uses the capabilities of DFSORT to perform the requested operations. ICETOOL calls DFSORT for each operation with the DFSORT control statements. The ICETOOL allows to perform a variety of functions such as -
- Allowing operations to be performed or suppressed based on the success or failure of previous operations.
- Creating multiple copies of sorted, merged, edited or unedited data sets.
- Creating a larger record from multiple shorter records or multiple shorter records from a larger record.
- Creating output data sets containing different subsets or field arrangements of input data sets.
- Creating output data sets and displaying list data sets for records with duplicate values, non-duplicate values, or values that occur n times, less than n times, or more than n times.
- Creating list data sets showing unique values for selected character and numeric fields and the number of times each occurs, in a variety of report formats.
- Creating output data sets with information spliced together from two or more input records with duplicate values.
- Displaying a list data set showing the DFSORT installation defaults selected at your site.
- Displaying list data sets showing character and numeric fields in a variety of report formats, allowing control of title, date, time, page numbers, carriage control characters, headings, lines per page, field formats and total, maximum, minimum, average and count values for the columns of numeric data.
- Displaying the count of records in a data set or creating an output data set containing an output record with text and the count of records.
- Displaying statistical information for selected numeric fields, such as minimum, maximum, average, total, count of values within a range and count of unique values.
- Identifying and displaying invalid decimal values and their locations in a data set.
- Setting RC=12, RC=8, RC=4 or RC=0 based on the count of records in a data set.
- Sorting records between headers and trailers.