In this topic, we have explained IDCAMS Utility introduction.
IDCAMS utility is used to create the VSAM datasets. IDCAMS is the short form of Integrated Data Cluster Access Method Services.
Access Method Services is used to perform various functions, including the creation of VSAM datasets and catalogs.
The functions of AMS are performed using the different functional commands of IDCAMS. It can be invoked in the following three ways.
- Call from the Application program
- Batch mode
- With TSO commands.
The below are Major/functional commands of IDCAMS -
Guidelines for coding commands in IDCAMS -
- At least one blank space must be there between the command, the object and sub parameter values.
- Sub parameter values can be separated using a space or a comma.
- A space is optional between a parameter and the parenthesis enclosing its values.
- Multiple parameters can be coded on a line but it is better to place each on a line by itself for better readability.
- A parameter and a sub-parameter cannot be separated with a hyphen. A plus sign should be used for this purpose.
IDCAMS utility topic can be explained in utilities section .