Tasks (for Experienced)
- IEBGENER is used to create a backup copy of a sequential data set or PDS or PDSE member.
- IEBGENER can copy the data set or member to any output device (disk, tape etc.).
- A data set that resides on a volume can be copied to its own volume.
Note! IEBGENER is used to process PDS members as sequential data sets and will not perform any directory entry processing.
- IEBGENER can logically divide a sequential data set into record groups and assign member names to the record groups.
- IEBGENER places the newly created members in an output PDS or PDSE.
- IEBGENER can’t create a PDS or PDSE if an input or output data set contains spanned records.
- IEBGENER can use to add members to a PDS or PDSE.
- IEBGENER creates the members from sequential input and adds them to the data set.
- In the merge operation, the ordering of the PDS or PDSE can be done automatically.
- IEBGENER is used to produce a reblocked output data set.
- The output data set can contain either fixed-length or variable-length records with a logical record length different from the input logical record length.
- Any unspecified fields will contain unpredictable data.
- IEBGENER can create an edited sequential or PDS or PDSE.
- IEBGENER can specify editing information that applies to a record, a group of records, selected groups of records, or an entire data set.
Below are scenarios when the edited dataset is created -
- Rearranging or omitting defined data fields within a record.
- Supplying literal information as replacement data.
- Converting data from one format to another (i.e., packed decimal to unpacked decimal mode, unpacked decimal to packed decimal mode, or BCDIC to EBCDIC mode).
- Adding or deleting shift-out/shift-in characters X'0E' and X'0F'.