Introduction (for Experienced)
IEBGENER can convert and copy sequential file data to PDS members and PDS member's data to sequential files. The copy operation can perform on all types of records having various lengths (including record length > 32760 bytes).
IEBGENER uses either a sequential data set or PDS or PDSE member as input and a new or existing sequential data set or a PDS or PDSE member as output.
Below is the list of tasks that IEBGENER can perform -
- Create an edited sequential or PDS or PDSE.
- Create a backup copy of a sequential data set, a member of a PDS or PDSE or an HFS file(z/OS UNIX).
- Create a PDS or PDSE, PDS or PDSE member from a sequential data set or a z/OS UNIX file.
- Extend an existing PDS or PDSE by creating partitioned members and merging them into the current data set.
- Print sequential data sets, PDS or PDSEs members or z/OS UNIX files.
- Reblock or change the logical record length of a data set.
- Copy user labels on sequential output data sets.
- Manage data sets containing double-byte character set data.
Suppose the DFSORT product is installed in the Mainframe environment. In that case, ICEGENER can be an alternative to IEBGENER when creating an unedited copy of a data set or PDS or PDSE member.
Return Codes -
IEBGENER returns a code in register 15 to indicate the program execution results. The return codes and their meanings are -
|00 (X'00')||Successful completion.|
|04 (X'04')||Successful completion with a warning message.|
|08 (X'08')||Either processing abnormally ended after requesting to process user header labels only, or a DBCS error was encountered.|
|12 (X'0C')||An unrecoverable error exists, or a DBCS error was encountered.|
Job execution gets stopped when an error occurs.
|16 (X'10')||A user specified return code. |
The utility execution ends.
Covered Topics -
Below IEBGENER performed tasks discussed in detail in further topics -