Operations (for Beginners)
ICETOOL is a multipurpose DFSORT utility. ICETOOL uses the DFSORT capabilities to perform multiple operations in a single step on one or more data sets.
Below are the 17 ICETOOL operators used to perform a variety of functions -
- COPY - COPY operator copies one file to one or more output files.
- COUNT - COUNT prints messages with the records count of the file in TOOLMSG.
- DATASORT - DATASORT sorts data records between header and trailer records in a data set.
- DEFAULTS - DEFAULTS prints the DFSORT installation defaults in a separate list file.
- DISPLAY - DISPLAY prints the values of numerical fields or specific character fields into a separate list dataset.
- MERGE - MERGE merges one or more input files into one or more output files.
- MODE - MODE uses for error checking and specifies the actions to be performed after error detection for operators.
- OCCUR - OCCUR prints each unique value for specific numeric or character fields and how many times it occurs in a separate list dataset.
- RANGE - RANGE prints a message with the values count in a specified range for a given numeric field in a dataset.
- RESIZE - RESIZE creates a larger record from multiple shorter records.
- SELECT - SELECT selects records from an input file and writes to the output file based on selection criteria.
- SORT - SORT sorts a file and copies it to one or more output files.
- SPLICE - SPLICE joins given fields from records with the key values (duplicate values) but has different information.
- STATS - STATS prints messages with the minimum, maximum, average, and total for the given numeric fields in a file.
- SUBSET - SUBSET selects records from a file to retain or remove the header, relative, or trailer records.
- UNIQUE - UNIQUE prints messages with the unique values count for a given numeric or character field.
- VERIFY - VERIFY reviews given decimal fields in a file and prints messages for each invalid value found related to each given field.