VSAM Creating Utility
IDCAMS utility is used to create the VSAM datasets.
IDCAMS stands for Integrated Data Cluster Access Method Services
IDCAMS (integrated data cluster access method services)
Access Method Services is used to perform various functions including creation on VSAM datasets and catalog’s.
The functions of AMS are performed using the different functional commands of IDCAMS. It can be invoked in the following three ways.
1. Call from Application program 2. Batch mode 3. With TSO commands.
The below are Major/functional commands of IDCAMS:
a. DEFINE b. ALTER c. LISTCAT d. PRINT e. REPRO f. EXPORT g. IMPORT h. VERIFY i. DELETE
Guidelines for coding commands in IDCAMS:
• At least one blank space must be there between the command, the object and sub parameter values.
• Sub parameter values can be separated using a space or a comma.
• A space is optional between a parameter and the parenthesis enclosing its values.
• Multiple parameters can be coded on a line but it is better to place each on a line by itself for better readability.
• A parameter and a sub-parameter cannot be separated with a hyphen. A plus sign should be used for this purpose.
IDCAMS utility topic can be explained in here in utilities section.
VSAM Cluster Components VSAM File Status Codes