Introduction (for Beginners)
IEBGENER can convert and copy sequential file data to PDS members and PDS member's data to sequential files. The copy operation can perform on all types of records having various lengths (including record length > 32760 bytes).
IEBGENER uses either a sequential file or PDS or PDSE member as input and a new or existing sequential file or a PDS or PDSE member as output.
Below is the list of tasks that IEBGENER can perform -
- Create an edited sequential file or PDS or PDSE.
- Create a backup copy of a sequential file, a member of a PDS or PDSE.
- Create a PDS or PDSE, PDS or PDSE member from a sequential file.
- Print sequential files, PDS or PDSEs members.
- Change the logical record length of a data sets.
- Copy user labels on sequential output data sets.
If the DFSORT product is installed in the Mainframe environment, ICEGENER can be an alternative to IEBGENER.
Return Codes -
IEBGENER returns a code in register 15 to indicate the program execution results. The return codes and their meanings are -
|00 (X'00')||Successful completion.|
|04 (X'04')||Successful completion with a warning message.|
|08 (X'08')||Processing abnormally ended after requesting to process user header labels only.|
|12 (X'0C')||An unrecoverable error exists.|
Job execution gets stopped when an error occurs.
|16 (X'10')||A user specified return code. |
The utility execution ends.